Project Food Blog Challenge 7: Videos – Classic, Contemporary and Crazy

Crepe Collage

As a food blogger, you have to wear multiple hats – cook, stylist, photographer, writer, editor. Last week, thanks to the seventh Project Food Blog challenge*, which is to demonstrate a recipe on video(!), I added director, actor, videographer and film editor to that list. When you write a blog, you’re putting a little part of your life, all your thoughts and ideas up for public scrutiny. But with words, you can hide as much as reveal. In front of the camera though, unless you are a fabulous actor (which obviously I’m not), nothing is hidden. And I have a new found respect for every single person who has had a video camera trained on him. (Okay, make that almost every single person.)

But let’s get to the crux of this video challenge, which is not me, but the recipes. Yes, I used the plural form. As if life wasn’t complicated enough running between my (normal, not video) camera and the ‘set’, and alternately cursing and pleading with the fading winter light (looking back on it, it must have made for quite a comical sight), I decided to make not one, but two of my favorite recipes. The first video shows you how to make classic French dessert crepes – if you haven’t already discovered how easy it is to make them, I urge you not to blame me for any weight gained after you do. For the second recipe, I took a little detour to Italy and transformed my crepes into a Tiramisu Crepe Cake – a dessert with three of my favourite words and one of my better ideas to date. And as a bonus, for being so good to me, I’m giving you a special backstage pass and some fairly tongue-in-cheek tips on making a budget home cooking video.

Creperie Collage

I’ve watched, edited and re-edited these until I was sick of the sound of my own voice. But in the end, I was happy with the result – it’s not slick or fancy, but it’s honest and, I think, fun. I’ll be glad if you like and enjoy it, but even happier if you find it helpful in any way – whether it is to cook something new or be inspired to create your own twist on classic recipes. The challenge was to channel our inner Julia Child and I think I’ve done that. Because wasn’t it Julia who said “The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking, you’ve got to have a ‘What the hell?’ attitude!”
Bon Appetit!

The Classic – French Crepes

Click here for complete recipe – French Crepes
(Music Credit and Copyright (Creative Commons): Pitx / CC BY-NC 3.0)

The Contemporary – Tiramisu Crepe Cake

Click here for complete recipe – Tiramisu Crepe Cake
(Music Credit and Copyright (Creative Commons): Pitx / CC BY-NC 3.0)

The Crazy – Me

(Music Credit and Copyright (Creative Commons): Teru)

*Thank you everyone for the overwhelming love and support – I am so grateful and couldn’t do it without all your amazing feedback. If you like these videos, PFB voting is now open.

This entry was posted in Celebration, Dessert, Food, Project Food Blog and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

71 Responses to Project Food Blog Challenge 7: Videos – Classic, Contemporary and Crazy

1. I like several statements from this post. ‘…with words, you can hide as much as reveal’ and ‘everything is better with alcohol’! I love the contrast of your fairly serious delivery with the funny statements that flash up. In awe as it must have taken you so long.

Thanks Sally. I’d thought that the jokes would be more effective if I wasn’t grinning like an idiot at the same time : ) Glad it worked! It did take a long, long time but I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would, especially the editing/producing part.

2. Loved this post! How did you get your videos to look so professional? I can’t believe this is your first time making them…I’m impressed! I loved your little jokes in the video. I’m glad you kept in the part where your ingredient fell off the counter – it adds a dash of reality to the video (glad to know little mishaps during cooking don’t just happen to me). And your bloopers were fun to watch too.

The part that scares me about making crepes is the flipping so I liked your tip about doing it with your fingers instead of a spatula (and your tip from the bloopers – I won’t give up!). Your tiramisu crepe cake looks delicious, and it’s just the incentive I need to try making crepes at home.

Professional!? Considering I wasn’t even using a proper video camera (just the video function on my normal cam), that’s quite a compliment! : )
      I didn’t edit out the bottle falling part because I liked it and thought it made the video more honest. I didn’t want (and also don’t have the capability) of producing one of those slick videos where everything looks and goes perfectly.
      I want to warn you though: Once you start making crepes, it’s very difficult to stop. Good luck and glad I was able to help.

3. Ankit Garg says:

Any day, we like Crazy You than anything else! :P
    Hey Heena it is something really awesome… keep up the awesome work…

4. Such cute videos– love the bloopers! Am voting now…

5. Lovely Tiramisu Crêpes recipe, and you look great and natural….I think we all learnt a lot with this video and checking your funny blooper video I see we all went through the same difficulties and fun!

Thanks Cristina and really appreciate the use of the word ‘natural’. That was the thing I was most worried about. It was so weird initially talking to a camera and if I made my roommate stand there, we’d both just end up giggling uncontrollably.

6. Nidhi says:

Awesome work Heena .. Great going.. !!

7. Great job Heena. Now I am craving Tiramisu crepe cake for breakfast ;-)

8. Winnie says:

So if I did not already love you to pieces, now I love you even more!!! Your video looks terrific and I love how you edited/produced it…you did a wonderful job and you are extremely fun to watch. :)

Thanks for all the love Winnie; you know I feel the same way about you. And we haven’t even met yet : )
      Really happy that you had fun watching – it gets really boring watching yourself 73 times while editing and was not sure of that. :D

9. Hot Polka Dot's Mom says:

Delightful video and delicious recipe. Loved your blooper segment and especially your tripod. Goes to show that great results can be achieved with simple objects and ingenuity. Your personality shone through which was the most important aspect. Well done!

Thank you!! I love that tripod too ; ) I keep meaning to buy an actual one but procrastinate because I don’t want to overload my bags while going home. (I’m originally from Bombay.) Of course, that doesn’t stop me from buying all those books, which are now probably much heavier than the tripod. Ah well, at least they came to some other good use. You should have seen how precariously the camera was balanced when I needed a shot at an angle for those bowls!

10. sippitysup says:

“Everything’s better with alcohol” and “nothing,s better than butter” These are MY motto too. GREG

11. Annalise says:

I made myself a crepe cake last year for my birthday and it was one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten! Yours looks amazing! Great job on the video!

12. Thanks for the entertainment!! I’ve done a few vlogs, so know the blood, sweat and tears that go into making food TV. I think you did a fantastic job!

That clock though, that enough to drive anyone batty.

Thanks a lot! Happy to entertain. (I was afraid I would bore everyone to tears.)
      And yes, that clock and I are not on speaking terms right now.

13. Jessica says:

Work every long hour spent! Nice work, Heena!!

14. I love the videos Heena, especially the bloopers one! You had me giggling at my computer :) The tiramisu crepe cake was delicious too. I can’t wait for voting to open so I can vote for you!

15. Love the scrolling jokes and comments – and you were absolutely adorable. Great job and the crepes look wonderful, too.

16. Isabelle says:

Man, I barely managed to finish one video… and here you are with three! Great job.
    I’m a total crepe addict, so you get my vote just for that. :) Can’t wait to try out your recipe for a crepe cake. It sounds amazing!

Thanks Isabelle. The one video you “managed to finish” was absolutely brilliant. Had me grinning like an idiot.

17. How fun! I make crepes all the time but never as fancy or yummy as yours! Thanks for the great tips, especially browning the butter (why didn’t I think of that?) and mostly for the addition of liquer, which we will most certainly enjoy!

18. Carolyn Jung says:

I am addicted to crepe cakes now that I finally tried one at a new French bistro in San Francisco. I love how the crepes and cream just meld into one heavenly soft, tender bite.

19. Joan Nova says:

Crepes look wonderful and I had a great time watching the videos, especially the ‘out-takes’!!

20. bigFATcook says:

Hey! Your cake looks absolutely delicious. Makes me hungryyy for sugar:)))

Greets from BFC!!!

21. Mariko says:

You are too cute. I wish I had had the presence of mind to put up some bloopers!
    I have never made crepes with browned butter. It sounds so so so good. Your technique is great.

Thanks a lot! While watching the raw footage, I was grinning the most at my idiocy. Thought others would appreciate it too ; )

22. the tiramisu crepe cake, it looks intense! and your humor, love it :)

23. That is an impressive dessert! Very informative step-by-step instructions.

24. stephirey says:

I’ve just got to say, your videos are totally cute! I watched all three. You are adorable and you did a great job. Plus, the tiramisu cake looks absolutely delicious!

25. Amy says:

I have never seen a cake like this before! Sounds wonderful! Great job on the video :)!

26. Asha@FSK says:

Wait! THREE videos?!! no wonder it was taking you sooo many days! Flipping awesome! I love the second one much! :)) Voted for you girl!

27. This sounds like heaven, as tiramisu’s my favorite dessert.

28. Love the video and your kitchen and the floral arrangements are simply stunning. And I’ve always wanted to learn how to make these crepes and the browned butter is just yummy! Voted!

29. fooddreamer says:

Your crepe cake looks amazing! I voted for you, good luck!

30. Great job… loved your tripod especially! ;)

31. Joanne says:

I loved the videos – especially the bloopers. The first two are so expertly done, it looks like you breezed right through. The bloopers set us all straight. You have my vote for sure and not just because of the videos but because that recipe looks amazing!

32. Great videos, everything looks delicious! I watched and loved them all. Your out takes video is so funny:) Best of luck & continued success on the PFB.

33. You are totally effortlessly funny! I love your camera persona ;) You have a vote from me!

My entry combines stop-motion animation, makeshift music videos, some very off-key singing, my cheesy sense of humor, and enough tips and tricks to empower you to make over 27 different cheesecakes! Come see if you’d like :)

34. Jeannie says:

Enjoyed all your 3 videos, I can imagine how much effort you have put in to produce them, and the crepes and the tiramisu….great work!

35. I really enjoyed the videos and I thought you were fun to watch and knowledgeable. I made a similar cake for the Chocolate show in NYC but I used white chocolate ganache and semisweet chocolate ganache. Everyone seems to enjoy it. I have a feeling mille crepes cakes will be the next big think in pastry making. I would love to hear your thought on this.
    Ciao,
    Serena

36. Heena wonderful job! The crepes look utterly divine. And your enthusiastic stand-in made me laugh out loud ahaha… I voted for you, of course

37. Heena: great minds think alike. I love crepes too and enjoyed watching your variations on theme through the video. I smiled along the way. That tripod was perfect and very creative!

38. Great vlog. Just voted for you :)

39. Dudette watched the bloopers with me and we laughed so hard. The videos were all priceless. I’d already voted for you and now I wish I could go back and vote twice. I loved it.

40. Liren says:

Heena! I viewed your videos what seems like so long ago, but am finally making my rounds to comment. You are absolutely charming – I love how your personality comes through, and I feel as though I am in the kitchen with you. Beautifully done!!

41. Great vid. I love a good crepe cake. Just voted for you :)

42. Anna says:

you are adorable! well done.

43. You are so adorable and clever! I like how you kept it realistic by including little slip ups. Crepes are my all time favourite breakfast food and you are so good at making them! Good luck and I definitely just voted for you!

44. I LOVED your video! You are wonderful on screen. I would totally watch your show on t.v. Your crepes looked amazing and your did a great job of showing us how to make them. Love the tripod and your sense of humor!

45. Gitte says:

Crepes are one of my favorite foods. I am going to try flipping them using my hands the next time I make them. Loved your video.

46. Varsha says:

Hi,is it okay to omit the alcohol ? Minors baking and eating…so. hope you answer thanks!

It’s definitely okay to omit the alcohol. You can use a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
      Hope you and the kids enjoy it.